C10: Introduction to Computers
Assignment 4: Business Startup Proposal
Description of the required Pre-Requisites
Estimated Cost: Included in Internet Service
- Laptop computer: This will be the main office equipment to be used. A laptop is a computer that is portable and suitable for use while traveling and outdoors. The specifics of the laptop computer to be used should include the following:
- Screen size- standard 15.6”. Convenient for everyday use and agronomical for home and outdoor use.
- Processor speed- quad core processor count is recommended and a processer speed of no less than 2.6 Ghz (gigahertz- the unit that represent the clock speed of a processor denoting the rate at which a task can be executed by the processor). In order, to handle the large expected programs to be used and the multiple tabs and window that may be open while user is on the pc.
- Ram–4 GB (gigabyte-is a multiple unit 109of the byte in computer storage). RAM is short for Random Access memory which is a type of computer storage that stores data and machine code currently being used. With the multiple desktop windows Bill may be using, it would be wise to use a laptop with at least this amount of real time storage to minimize time lag when switching windows or the slowing down of data processes when multiple programs are running.
- Hard drive- Purchasing at least 1 TB SSD. (SSD-solid state disk, this form of storage is recommended rather than a hard drive that is HDD-Hard disk drive. Reason for this form of Hard drive for Bill is primarily due to SSD replaces moving parts resulting in resistance to shock, corruption and loss of data will in operation and the user is moving the laptop around. Bill will also benefit from a more silent run in his pc and lower access time.
The main storage capacity of the laptop. Bill is expected to have information that will require at least 3 terabytes of storage. Hence 1TB laptop storage will suffice with the everyday data. The other data will therefore need to be stored externally.
- Bluetooth- a wireless technology for exchanging data over short distances. Bill will be able to interconnect other peripheral device through this technology reducing corded limitation and ease of mobility in and around the home office or outdoors.
- USB ports- Laptop should have at minimum 2 USB ports for the connection of other peripheral devices. USB- is short for universal serial bus, an industry standard for short distance digital data communication.
- Estimated Cost: $1500.00
- Wireless Hand-held mouse: Using a wireless ill be more efficient more than be restricted to the track pad of the laptop computer. The mouse will communicate with the laptop with its receiver inserted into one of the laptop USB ports.
- Estimated Cost: $30
- Bluetooth headset- the use of wireless Bluetooth headset will serve bill well in being able to connect this headset to his phone and also his laptop. Online video conferencing will be easier, and calls can be accepted and terminated without being distracted while bill is driving.
- Estimated Cost: $40
- Wi-Fi router- this device is usually to you once you get internet service from an internet service provider. The router provided to you will be able to be used for wireless local area networking, facilitating, computers, smart phones and other devices that require connection to the internet or communicated with one another wirelessly within Bill’s home.
Estimated Cost: $150.00
- External SSD- 1TB external drive. Refer to hard drive above for SSD. Bill will need additional external storage since his maximum data capacity is between 2-3 TB. His Laptop SSD together with this portable external SSD should serve his all his storage needs.
Estimated Cost: $150.00
- Inkjet printer- Simple all in one inkjet printer will suffice for the printing of sales invoice and all other printing needs.
Estimated Cost: $800.00
- Android OS cell phone- a recommendation for Bill is a cellphone capable of Bluetooth and operating on the latest Android Operating system.
Estimated Cost: $150.00
- Filing Cabinet- Bill will need equipment for the storage of printed sales records so that his hired account can have hard copy documents to track expenses and sales income.
Estimated Cost: 200.00
- Operating system- An operating system is the most important software that runs on a computer. It manages the computer’s memory and processes, as well as all of its software and hardware. It also allows you to communicate with the computer. Without an operating system, a computer is useless. Operating systems usually come pre-loaded on any computer. The three most common operating systems for personal computers are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. For Bill, it is recommended that he uses Microsoft windows version 10, the most basic and user friendly of the three. Windows 10 introduces “universal apps“; these apps can be designed to run across multiple Microsoft product families including PCs, tablets, smartphones etc., unique for Bill’s business use.
Estimated Cost: Included with Internet Service
- Anti-virus and firewall- a firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules... A firewall typically establishes a barrier between a trusted internal network and untrusted outside network. It is recommended that Bill buys and install the AVG Antivirus for Windows and for his mobile Android device. AVG provides the common functions available in modern anti-virus and Internet security programs, including periodic scans, scans of sent and received emails , the ability to “repair” some virus-infected files, and a quarantine area (“virus vault”) in which infected files are held. AVG Online Shield is a feature, designed to check files and ensure that they are safe. AVG Online Shield also ensures the safety of exchanging files over the internet disabling it to be hacked or picked up by unauthorized personnel. This may also be included in your Internet service pricing.
Click following link to download this document
C10 Assignment 4 Start Up Proposal.docx