Operational Strategies in Law Enforcement- Copy of Power point Notes
Purdue University Global
CJ 101 Introduction to the Criminal Justice System
Unit 4 Assignment November 12, 2019
Describe and explain each of the following five core operational strategies (one strategy for each slide):
This is a strategy used to aide in the prevention and discovery of criminal occurrences. This strategy helps to bring comfort and security to the community using routine patrol and directed patrol. Preventative patrol is the intrinsic nature police officers vigorous work (Haskins, 2019).
Describe and explain one ancillary operational strategy such as support services.
- Routine incident response
- Routine Incident response is intended to maintain order, provide documentation of occurrences, and provide instant service where there is a need. Routine incidents can be a minor as a traffic accident or a domestic disturbance in which officers respond to a call, gather details about the incident, and follow the encounter with a written police report.
- Emergency response
- Emergency response, although not as quantitative part of their work, takes the highest level of priority over all other police work. During an emergency response officers respond while a crime is in occurrence, to provide immediate aid to injuries sustained in an accident, natural disasters, terrorist attacks, other officers in need of back up or aide, and all incidents involving a threat to people (Haskins, 2019).
- Criminal investigation
- A criminal investigation are the steps taken in discovering, collecting, preparing, identifying, and presenting evidence to help identify the events involved in a crime and who may have committed the crime. Criminal investigations only make up a small percentage of police work (“Policing Strategies,” N.D.).
- Problem solving
- This is a strategy used to reduce the reoccurrence of issues within a community and bring solution to concerns. Although this strategy is not often used in policing historically, in more recent year’s problem solving has been given a structure within the line of work (Haskins, 2019).
Explain how law enforcement agencies utilize operational strategies to achieve crime fighting goals.
- Support Services are duties within law enforcement that promotes efficiency, promotes effective work structure, and aides in organization of processes. Some examples of support work in law enforcement would be dispatch, human resources, property and evidence control, and record keeping are all vital pieces to supporting policing (“Policing Strategies,” N.D.).
- Development of goals to improve crime prevention, effective resource allocation, or locating suspects. Research is used to determine efficiency of new ideas and to implement and evaluate the new strategies. Additionally, new operational strategies to incorporate technological tools that promote the disbursement of information, to help reduce crime, are incorporated. Survey and community outreach by law enforcement aid in the effective evaluation of the confidence and trust the community has for law enforcement. Routine positive police encounters are necessary for the community’s perception of law enforcement to be more impactful and make a significant difference in the community feedback (Wexler, Edwards, & Morrozoff, 2017).
Haskins, P. A. (2019, October 24). Research Will Shape the Future of Proactive Policing. Retrieved from https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/research-will-shape-future-proactive-policing.
Nij. (n.d.). Policing Strategies. Retrieved from https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/policing/policing-strategies.
Wexler , C., Edwards, S., & Morrozoff, A. (2017). Operational Strategies to Build Police-Community Trust and Reduce Crime in Minority Communities: THE MINNEAPOLIS CEDAR-RIVERSIDE EXPLORATORY POLICING STUDY. Retrieved from https://www.policeforum.org/.