HRM 532 Week 7 Discussion Global versus National Talent Management and the Talent Management Process
“Differentiate between talent management for global versus national efforts and how your organization would address the creation of a global effort if one is not already in existence.
Go to the Chief Learning Officer’s Website to read the article titled ‘Learning a Key Piece in Talent Management Process’, and then access ‘Diving into Learning and Talent Management’. Next, using Google as a company needing a global taxonomy, competencies identified, and certification requirements, develop a rationale for a global taxonomy and certification for three key positions for which Google would likely need to develop talent.
Explain why this type of talent development would be necessary and beneficial to Google.”
Answer: The talent management global efforts differ from the national efforts because in global talent management the cross-cultural differences need to be taken into account which can very easily be ignored in the case of national talent management. The expatriates need to be thoroughly trained before being sent for the compatibility and adaptability to the new environment. The GTM needs to be in place majorly for knowledge creation for the organization and to create a global leadership. Moreover, the media used in the training of the NTM and GTM are different. The media used in GTM need to defy the law of gravitation and hence need to be indifferent to the distance between the trainer and the trainee.
To manage the global talent any organization must
Taking Google into account the three key positions for which it would like to develop talent would be
- The expatriates should be rewarded in order to keep them motivated for the international assignments.
- The families, specially, the spouse need to be taken into account when assigning the projects. The jobs of the spouse and education of the children need to be ensured.
- The end of the project must consist of a repatriation process.
- Extensive and comprehensive training for adjustment to the new environment.
- Hiring from the local talent for a better understanding of the local market needs to be done.
- Standardization of the processes irrespective of the geographical location, so that employees can be trained and certified in those processes.
- Mobility in the training program, so that the training can be taken over the internet and hence can be taken from any part of the world and hence improving the existing skills of the employees.
Google is a multinational firm which has its presence all over the world. In order to understand the need of different types of customers they need employees who understand these customer needs. Moreover there are two different sides to their business namely, technical and business which can again be found differently in different countries. In order to perform even services all across the world and the same time maintain customer satisfaction they need to have employees who can cater to the needs of the organization. By using the program above they can hire employees according to their proficiencies and hone their skills according to their organization.
- Business strategy: the business education in the developed nations is far superior when compared to the developing nations, hence Google needs a global talent management in place to manage its offices in the developing nations. The main idea of talent management here would be knowledge sharing. The knowledge sharing here can be in terms certifications like CFA and FRM, or can be done in the form of training where an impeccable strategy is already in place, or can be done by sponsoring the education of the employees. This would allow the transfer of knowledge beyond borders for Google.
- Account Optimizer: the role requires engineering skills. The engineers found in the developing nations are far more in numbers when compared to the developed nations. These fit-for-the-role employees can be entered into the cyclical expatriation and repatriation. At the same time the local talent can be trained and certified in the SEO and the ad-words. This would allow transfer of talent beyond borders for google.
- Customer Support: Nations like India have abundance of customer support centers and hence most MNCs prefer outsourcing their customer support. But these customer support executives need to meet Google standards and also be completely aware of the products. To add on to the above they also need to cater to their audiences who are majorly in the developed nations. Hence Google needs to manage this particular talent not only to reduce cost but also increase efficiency.
Click following link to download this document
HRM 532 Week 7 Discussion Global versus National Talent Management and the Talent Management Process.docx