Employers are required to provide their employees with a work environment free from discrimination and without harassment. Required by law to take steps to prevent and deal with harassment in the workplace, the employer is liable for any harassment which does occur in the workplace, even if they are not made aware of the circumstances. Employers can take necessary precaution to prevent harassment in the workplace, however these standards in no way provide proof of a haven. Some examples of taking the appropriate steps to set standards include:
Even with a strict anti-harassment policy and procedure in place, employers have an unfair position as it pertains to sexual harassment, by todays standards. Moral absolutism should be the standard protections for employers as it pertains to sexual harassment, but society allows suit over any and everything, therefore it does not. Moral absolutism is a basic theory that thins are either completely wrong or they are completely right. An employee working with an acknowledgement of policy and procedure, who chooses to use flagrant behavior toward another, causing them to feel uncomfortable, is entirely wrong. The employee who is made to feel uncomfortable, who goes to her superior, causing the employee to be terminated for their actions. The employee then turns around and files suit against her employer, who had a policy in place, terminated the perpetrator, and did their diligence, but they in turn will have to pay restitution to the victim, this is also absolutely wrong.
- Clear written policy with annual training stating that this is a workplace where harassment will not be tolerated.
- Educational tools about harassment with tools and steps to take in the event harassment does occur.
- Open communication with an open-door policy, or anonymous tip policy, in which Information can be disclosed.
- Staff development programs on sexual harassment at work with anti-harassment representatives who can be utilized for assistance if the person is not comfortable speaking to their superior.
- Act against discriminating, investigate all accusations, and show a zero tolerance by utilizing the same disciplinary policy for all employee social status’.
Place an Order