7-2 Final Project: IT Consultation for Swagger Distribution
IT-200 – Fundamentals of Information Technology
Southern New Hampshire University
Microsoft Word provides an easy to understand platform with innovative icons that help each user quickly understand each option. Word provides eight items in the ribbon made up of Home, Insert, Design, Layout, References, Mailings, Review, and View. Within the Home tab, options are available to edit the layout and font of the text within the document. Within the Insert tab, icons are present that allow insertion of different types of media within the document ranging from tables and charts to pictures, shapes, and smart art. The Design Tab allows the user to apply a theme to the document by choosing from a small tile which shows an outline of each theme. Another useful item is the Search field, which will allow the user to search the entire document for a specific word, phrase, or number.
Microsoft Offers another program called Microsoft Visio. Much like Word, Visio offers a Ribbon across the top that provides a list of tabs with different options that allow the user to insert items into their work or change the design of their diagrams or layouts. Once the user has chosen their specific document type, they will notice and easy understood object pane that provides a multitude of object options for their document. Each object has a particular shape that coincides with a real object and it also provides a name for the object.
An easy to use HCI within programs and applications are important for seamless interaction between users, computers, and applications (Otero, 2012). Using universal icons provide a language that everyone can understand. When the HCI meets these requirements, every program will be easy to use for all.
Because users will be incorporating both Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visio into their daily tasks, Microsoft has made some things similar with both programs if not the same with an easy to understand HCI. Within both programs the user will notice that the ribbon layout is in the same position, and the save, print, undo, and redo options are all located in the same place. They also share the same icons such as a Floppy Disk for the save function, a curved backward pointing arrow for the undo function, a curved forward pointing arrow for the redo function, and finally a printer for the printing function. This allows each user to easily and accurately complete each task that’s needed to complete a well-rounded product in a timely manner.
When providing a consultation to a potential customer, currently the company or personnel providing the service have to use separate documents to support their service plans. A recommendation that could be useful would be a function that could be used in either of the two programs, Word or Visio. Add a “Combine Documents” option. This task could be completed as easy as clicking an icon of a folder with a “W” and a “V” inside the folder. Once the documents have been combined, there will be another icon with the opposite function, thus allowing the documents to be separated into the programs from which they originated. This would allow the service provider to combine both types of documents into one, so that a potential customer can see everything in one place. The opposite function would separate the documents for editing purposes. This will cut down on costs, time spent for presentation, and streamline the proposal process, allowing more time and effort toward actually providing the service.
Microsoft Visio Tutorial
Microsoft Visio allows users to create many different types of diagrams and flow charts, and floor plans. One feature of this program is templates. The user is provided with document templates upon startup. A template allows different functions and layouts. Once opened, Microsoft Visio provides the options to choose from a list or search for a particular template. To select a templet from the list provided, double click a template.
Another feature is the provided shapes and stencils. These icons are easy to understand and read. To use this feature, the user can click the icon desired and drag it onto the page where it should be placed. Notice the picture below that shows some of the stencil choices.
- Feature 1: Zooming, allows the user to increase or decrease the size of the view. The size can be increased so that small changes can be made. Once the changes have been made the user can decrease the viewing size so that the big picture can be seen. (BOTTOM RIGHT ARROW)
- Feature 2: Help Section, allows the user to ask the program for helpful hints. The question mark will open a dialogue box and require the user to type in key words for help. (TOP RIGHT ARROW)
- Feature 3: View Tab, allows the user to choose which view you would like to see. This can help with formatting, to ensure that the placements are correct. (MIDDLE RIGHT ARRWOW)
- Feature 4: Connector, allows the user to connect different stencils to show which icon will interact with another. This feature is useful for both flow charts and diagrams. (MIDDLE LEFT ARROW)
- Feature 5: Save document function. This disk allows the user to save this document so that it may referenced or edited it at a later time. The user may also assign a unique name to the file and select where it should be saved to for easier locating. (TOP LEFT ARROW)
The databases for Swagger Distribution stores the company’s data. There are three tables within the database which contain different types of data to include short text, currency, and numbers. The database contains manufacturer’s information, clothing information, and retail store’s information.
Field 1 – Short Text. This field is for the manufacturer’s name.
Field 2 – Short Text. This field is for the manufacturer’s street address.
Field 3 – Short Text. This field is for the manufacturer’s city.
Field 4 – Short Text. This field is for the manufacturer’s state.
Field 5 – Number. This field is for the manufacturer’s zip code.
Filed 1 – Short Text. This field is for the clothing item.
Field 2 – Short Text. This field is for the color of the clothing item.
Field 3 – Short Text. This field is for the Manufacture’s name of the clothing item.
Field 4 – Number. This field is for the wholesale price.
Field 5 – Short Text. This field is for the retail price.
Field 1 –Short Text. This field is for the retail store’s name.
Field 2 –Short Text. This field is for the retail store’s street address.
Field 3 –Short Text. This field is for the retail store’s city.
Field 4 – Short Text. This field is for the retail store’s state.
Field 5 – Number. This field is for the retail store’s zip code.
Field 6 –Short Text. This field is for the retail store’s clothing item.
In the Clothing Products datasheet, the data type field for “Retail Price” reflected short text. Within the datasheet view, the value shown was not in currency, it is just a number. After changing the view type back to design view, by clicking on the data type field for retail price and changing the value to “Currency” and then selecting the datasheet view, it can be verified that the correct value is now reflected.
The query for Swagger Distribution database links all three datasheets together. The manufacturer’s information datasheet is linked to the clothing products datasheet because the clothing products datasheet contains a field for the manufacturer’s name. The clothing product’s datasheet also contains a field for the clothing item which links it to the clothing item datasheet.
Initially the query did not work because there was information missing. The query is programmed to look for specific information, without all of the information available the query will return no results, instead of an error.
After making a selection to the clothing item field within the retail store’s datasheet, by running the query again, the results provided information in the fields. The reason it returned results this time was the fact that all datasheets are now connected. This means that the relationship between the datasheets are now complete and all of the information that the query is looking for was provided.
The key components of the current swagger code are system.out.println, calendar code, and the semicolon. System.out.println is a java code that is used to print a string or a combination of letters and words (Lowe, 2012). Calendar code is also a java code, that is used for printing dates and times in a specific format. The Semicolon is important because it defines the end of a statement.
The items below are changes made to the Swagger Distribution’s Code to provide a more professional login screen. A new line was added to the code in order to provide a welcome statement to each employee upon login. The word “Current” no longer resides below the welcome statement, you will now see “Today’s” in its place.
The Physical Network diagram for Swagger Distribution starts with the WAN (Wide Area Network) and connects to the T1 Demarcation Router inside the Computer Room. The Demarcation Router connects to the main router which is directly connected to the PIX Firewall and the Ethernet Switch. The Ethernet switch extends services to the servers, Cross-Patch Panel, and the Warehouse. From inside the Computer Room, the Cross-Patch Panel directly connects to the Ethernet drop cable via a horizontal cable routed through walls and ceilings. The Office PC directly connects to the Faceplate using an Ethernet drop cable. The Ethernet Switch in the Computer room is directly connected to the Remote Ethernet Switch in the Warehouse using a Fiber Optic Cable. Inside the Shipping office within the Warehouse, there are two PCs directly connected to the Remote Ethernet Switch using an Ethernet drop cable.
Swagger Distribution could benefit from two WAPs (Wireless Access Points). One will be placed in the offices and another placed in the supply office within the warehouse. This would provide options for different types of network capable devices such as portable devices. This would also allow an option for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) which could result in less overhead and liability for the company from a monetary standpoint. The image below depicts the Network Diagram for Swagger Distribution with two WAPs.
It is important for Swagger Distribution to have a current and updated website because the website contains information that may change such as Blogs, Company News, Products and Services, and the Staff Directory (Ledbetter, 2013). Leaving this information incorrect on the website can possibly cause sales to plummet or incorrect information to be reported to the public. Updating the company website regularly will also ensure that it is easily accessible to the general public.
Listed below are up to date functionalities that would assist Swagger Distribution (15 Core Web Functionalities, 2012,):
Monster.com is a highly rated employment posting search engine, this webpage uses some of the same functionalities, two of which are:
- Security (Secure Socket Layer) – Consumer’s information will be entered into the webpage, customers like to know that their data is safe. Secure Socket Layer encrypts the information that is exchanged between the customer and the website.
- Form Validation – Each field that requires information may need a specific type of data, without explicit instructions, this may be difficult for some users, this function will highlight the contents needed for each field providing an easier experience for the visitor.
- Organized Forms – time is valuable and most customers prefer not to search and search for items that are needs. Having all forms organized and only requesting the required information will speed up the process and appeal more to the public.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – when using a search engine to find a website having your webpage be the first one to show up is a benefit. A web developer can use tools such as alt tags, metatags, or meta descriptions so that search engines can better locate the intended webpage.
- Domain Name – this name should be representative of the company and stand out and be easy to remember to the visitor.
- Format – The content and layout of the webpage should be well organized and appealing to the visitor. The text should be easy to read and use less words and bullet points to keep the readers engaged.
- Search Functionality – as the company grows, the website will inevitably grow as a result. Having the ability to search and filter the results assists the visitor in finding the information correctly and quickly.
- Simple Navigation – most everyone would rather a search for information to be simple and not time consuming. If you have a complicated webpage it is possible for a user to find another webpage that they can better navigate.
- Mobility and Responsive Design – this function will save money due to having one page instead of requiring two platforms, one for mobile and one full site this function will bind these capabilities and require only one platform.
- Social Media Integration – because social media has a big effect on life today, as a marketing tool this will benefit the company because users will be able to easily find links to incorporate different services.
- Speed of Load Time – this is important because if a website takes too long to load, a user will more than likely find another webpage. Load times can take longer due to incorrect programming or even too many users accessing the same resource at one time.
- Domain Name. “Monster.com” is an easy to remember name that is short and to the point, making it easier for users to find the webpage that they intended to find.
- Monster uses a space on their home page to provide quick links to their social media profiles providing a “one click” task to find more information about their company and this makes for easier transition to their profiles.
Information security is one of the most important requirements of a company because information is an asset to the company and the company is responsible for the security of the information provided by the consumers. Because of this high level of importance, there is little room for error due to the consequences of having unsecure networks and information (Brown, 2006). Having a lack of information security can be detrimental to the consumer and costly to the company. Most information that consumers provide companies contain personally identifiable information which could include social security numbers, dates of birth, and addresses which can result in identity theft. Companies found guilty of having unsecured systems and information spillages have to pay hefty fines and in turn potential customers shy away from these companies.
Two Security recommendations that Swagger Distribution would benefit from are:
In November of 2013, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield dealt with a security breach. Two laptops were found to be stolen from one of its offices in Newark containing unsecured and unencrypted information pertaining to at least 690,000 of its policy holders. The information that was compromised contained birthdates, identification numbers, social security numbers, and some medical information. Due to the severity of this breach, Blue Cross Blue Shield was ordered to pay $1.1 Million in fines for not protecting consumer information (Dhir, 2017).
- Using Corporate security standards and frameworks such as the International Standard ISO 1799. This provides a baseline for maintaining, implementing and updating information security management in an organization (ISO/IEC 17799, 2005).
- Provide training to all employees on the importance of information security as well as best practices. Keeping employees trained will lower the liability of other types of cyber-attacks such as phishing, zero-day attacks via email attachments, and social engineering.
The components that have been discussed above interrelate in different ways. Some Components rely on others in order to provide a particular service. Others work hand in hand with one or more to provide a clean and easy to understand product. Below you will see the way all components interrelate.
- HCI – The Human Computer Interface provides the items that a user sees when an application is being used. Databases, networking, web technologies, security components, and even networking all have certain applications that are ran to complete Tasks within their fields. HCI ensures that any user can make their way through the functions with ease.
- Databases – Databases rely HCI for ease of use and easy to understand layout to help users enter data more efficiently. With proper networking, other users within a company can access these databases and receive information that is required to complete a function. Web technologies will allow access to a database or even provide the platform for a database for use through a VPN or web-based applications. Security is required to keep information safe that is stored within the databases.
- Programming – Programming is essential for all components and is the foundation for these items to function the way that they function and display the information that is displayed. Programming and HCI work together to translate computer language into the graphical user interface that every user has grown to know. Without programming a database would be extremely difficult to display information in a manner that a user could read. Networking and web technologies rely on programming in order to function with other devices. Security is essential to programming in order to defend network components from attacks and malware.
- Networking- With the correct programming, Networking will provide the correct pathway for a company to provide information to the public via websites as well as other portions of the company. Security will keep all data and devices that interact on the network safe.
- Web Technologies – Web tech relies on HCI and Programming to provide a clean crisp and easy to use platform for the entire internet to use. Web Tech can provide a platform for programs and apps that can allow a company to compile and edit databases. Using the correct network configuration allows the company to market their websites and information to the public and remembering to secure the network will prevent data loss.
- Security – Security is most important for all components to function freely without compromising data or personal information.
Swagger Distribution is an innovative and up in coming company that could benefit from the system that has been discussed in this document for many reasons. Providing a well thought and correctly programmed HCI to all technologies and applications within the company will raise the proficiency levels of all sections of the company and as a result increase revenue. Securing the network, Databases, and web technologies properly will prevent data loss and maintain a solid name for the public to instill their trust. Using web technologies to its advantage, Swagger can show their new work and plans for the future in order to gain more clientele. Enforcing policies in each aspect of the company will provide the road to greater success.
Otero, Carlos E (2012) “Chapter 9 – Human–Computer Interface Design”. Software Engineering Design: Theory and Practice.
Lowe, Doug (2012) Java for Dummies Quick Reference.
Ledbetter, Marcus (2013, August 13) Website Maintenance: How Often Should I Update My Website? From http://www.idtinteractive.com
(2016, February 22) 15 Core Web Functionalities
Brown, Richard (2006, October) Information Security Means Better Business From: http://www.computerweekly.com
(2005) Information Technology – Security Techniques – Code of Practice for Information Security Management From: http://www.iso.org
Dhir, Rajeev (2017, February 24) 13 Recent Data Breaches, Hacks That You Should Know About From: http://www.nj.com
Place an Order